Saturday, December 4, 2010

Old Media = New Media



I was watching Conan a few nights ago when I saw the above segment. Conan parody's most vlogs by "creating" his own and acting like a tween/teen (who make up the majority of the vlogging audience). The fact that he was able to parody vlogs and get laughs shows how mainstream they are becoming. Yet what I find interesting is that it seems old media, like television, is needed to verify/confirm new media like vlogs. We have toughed on this issue before in class but to see it play out like this is interesting. Old media, though somewhat in decline, seems to have a certain air of trust/seniority that grants it the right to "allow" other media to exist. I wonder if this means that some old media will never fully disappear or if one day it will be vlogs that introduce new media the way television is doing now.

1 comment:

  1. I think this is a very possible theory you have. we may not like vlogging but I think it is certainly here to stay and it is only getting more and more popular every day

    ReplyDelete