Saturday, October 16, 2010

Etiquette: Complicating Social Networking



What's been on my mind this week with regard to social networking is the social etiquette of sites like Facebook. I don't just mean posting certain pictures or status updates that maybe inappropriate but actually dealing with people online. I think most of us have friends on Facebook that we wish we didn't have and the simple thing to do would be to de-friend them but due to different online social etiquette this might not be a simple task. Sometimes talking to people can be a bit problematic since status updates or comments on someone's profile cannot capture the tone of our voices. Articles like this one or this one have constantly been popping up about the different etiquette that arises and one can't help but question who makes up the rules. Is it because of the inherent features of Facebook? Are these rules a reflection of what happens when social norms become digitized? To complicate matters even more etiquette changes depending on the social networking site. This video explains how what is acceptable in one form of social networking is not necessarily acceptable in others. Even sites themselves change as their base of users changes. Facebook was a different place when it was just college students on there and etiquette has changed due to employers and parents being on the site. But then again as I think about real life friendships and relationships, things are just as complicated, not being able to express how you really feel or not being able to get rid of certain people from your life. Sites like Facebook are suppose to be places where people can go, hang out with their friends, and share a bit about themselves but like with most things in life we the people like to complicate it.

2 comments:

  1. I agree SNS etiquette is becoming more complicated as the breadth of users increases. And while it is true that real life relationships are just as difficult, those interactions aren't online in a public forum. I'm thinking more and more about removing the Facebook "friends" I have that make me feel uncomfortable, regardless of how it may appear to them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very interesting post Fito. I find myself dwelling on this very topic constantly, but I have never come across any writing on the subject like you found. I find this topic extremely interesting. Sometimes you can not post what you want because of how someone might perceive it, who might be watching. Untagging and tagging pictures can be controversial between people. Defriending has been known to cause unecessary drama and tensions between people. I think it is all ridiculous. I don't really think I've ever personally been involved or affected by it, but I have seen people who have and it has been brutal. I think it is a little bit ridiculous but it is very interesting to look into, I wish someone would really do a study on it, in depth, I would love to read it.

    ReplyDelete